Open Search: Artistic Director
Dragon Production Theatre Company is a 501c3 small theatre company with a 17-year history of telling uncommon, intimate, and accessible stories on the Bay Area Peninsula. Located in downtown Redwood City, we are looking to fill the Artistic Director position to take over from the founder by January, 2019. The Artistic Director is a full-time-equivalent/flexible-hours executive position responsible for conceiving, developing, and implementing the artistic vision and focus of Dragon.
The artistic director's responsibilities include, but are not limited to, choosing the plays staged in a season; hiring the directors for each of the Dragon offerings; working closely with the Managing Director and other administrative and production staff to over-see the operations (including creating the operations budget); and evaluating from an artistic perspective all proposed projects and productions. They must also function as a resource for the directors and producers who are mounting productions at the theatre and is expected to provide support, counsel, and/or artistic input as requested. The artistic director may be called to assume direction of a production should a director become unable to complete their duties. The artistic director will be regarded as the artistic representative of Dragon and will often be required to speak about Dragon to the press, community, and at public events.
Specific duties include, but are not limited to:
· Coordinate/nurture/promote/over-see new projects (2nd Stages)
· Network with the community to build the Dragon brand, maintain its reputation for high quality theatre, and attract audiences and donors
· With Managing Director, responsible for the decision-making protocols for Dragon policies
· Responsible for all facilities up-keep and lease negotiations
· Outreach for actors, designers, production staff, audiences, renters, board recruits
· Develop, implement, and evaluate programs for the year
· With Finance Committee, develop annual program budget
· Foster the development of good relations with other cultural organizations by participating in meetings and joint activities where appropriate
· Report to the Board of Directors on a regular basis to give an update on artistic activity
· Supervise the maintenance of written procedures manual for technical and production staff
The position will begin with the training and shadowing of the current AD in 2018 and will take over the position Jan. 1st, 2019. Salary in the mid-$20K range, no benefits. To apply, please provide your resume and cover letter to Executive Artistic Director, Meredith Hagedorn at email@example.com to be considered in the first round of the hiring process. Deadline to apply is February 25th.
Designers Needed for the 2018 Season
Dragon Theatre Technical and Creative Staff Opportunities
We are currently seeking properties, sound designers, costume designers, scenic designers, lighting designers, stage managers, and assistant stage managers for the 2018 season. Potential on-the-job training for some positions available. Interested in Stage Managing, but have never tried? You can start as an Assistant Stage Manager and learn the trade.
Visit our season listing for details on the shows in 2018. (Coming soon)
Please send a letter of intent and resume to Production Manager, Ashley Taylor Frampton at taylor (at) dragonproductions.net. There is a stipend for all production staff positions.
Actors: Please see our auditions page.
We hire Actors, Directors, Administrative Assistants, Stage Managers, and other Technical Staff on a show-by-show basis. Opportunities will be listed here.
1. We are always looking for more directors for our files.
2. Actors, you can sign up for our mailing list and be among the first to hear about all our upcoming auditions.
3. We are always looking for designers and occasionally back stage run crew.
All positions are paid a stipend on a per/show basis and based on experience. Thanks so much for spreading the word. Can't wait to hear from you!