Since 2016 Dragon Productions Theatre Company has hosted the Monday Night Play Space. Two Mondays a month (when we can) Dragon Productions Theatre Company opens its doors to local artists to use the space for anything, including staged readings of new plays, local film screenings, poetry slams, stand up comedy, improv demos, books readings, and anything else that the Bay Area artistic community comes up with! You need to workshop a new script in front of an audience? This is your opportunity! As a performer, there's no cost to you but we do need to get some details and book you into a time slot. Our goal is to provide local artists a venue to safely test run a new work or performance set and connect with some new fans while allowing our community a low cost way to experience new art.
Please be aware of the following:
- You are responsible for casting your show/reading.
- Please note that this is NOT an opportunity to fully produce a new play or musical with a set. There may be a Dragon set already on the stage so we'll be closing the mid-stage curtain to give you the front of the stage as a performance space. This is really intended to workshop a new play with scripts in hand or a new improv set or whatever. Workshop and low tech are the keys here.
- You can enter the building at 6p on the night of your performance for set up and a quick walkthru of the performance. We unfortunately cannot accommodate other rehearsal time.
- We will provide a technician to run lights/sound during the show and to help you get set up for the evening. We will also provide front of house staff to sell tickets and concessions for the show. This event is pay what you will in cash at the door and routinely has pretty solid crowds. Obviously we sell better when you also push the event out to your network of friends and fans.
- The doors open for the audience at 7p and the show starts at 7:30p on a Monday night so make sure that your work schedule and traffic accommodate this. The Dragon Theatre is located in downtown Redwood City.
- For some Frequently Asked Questions please refer to https://www.dragonproductions.net/45-shows/249-mnps-frequently-asked-questions.html
- Check https://www.dragonproductions.net/box-office/mondaynight.html#performer for available dates in 2019.
- To apply for a performance slot go here https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScXkE3mK5rixgtuMyMl1jN9r9CvrWuN7nkqKiPxEybsIg7Jkw/viewform
Questions? Email Alika at alika (at) dragonproductions.net
Are you a stand-up comic, clown, acrobat, burlesque performer, musician, poet, mc, storyteller, dancer, or a performing artist of another discipline?
Dragon Productions Theatre Company is seeking new acts and performances of 60-90 minutes to add to our Late Night Series!
Since the summer of 2017, Dragon Theatre has been keeping its doors open late on Friday nights once a month to showcase up and coming talented local performers from around the bay.
We provide you with space and staffing to host a successful night of your performance. When all is said and done, we pay out a majority of box office receipts to you after our fixed staffing costs are covered.
Admission for these shows is $15 in advance or $20 at the door and each ticket includes one beverage. Shows start at either 9:30 or 10:30pm.
All shows are aged 21+.
Contact Bora “Max” Koknar about available dates to book your act or to get more information at max (at) dragonproductions.net .
- Title & Discipline of your act
- Description of your act
- Approximate length of your act
- Links to media you have available to share as a sample of your work (Please include any relevant contextual information)
- Minimum technical needs of your act
- Any other logistical needs/considerations for your act.
DRAGON and FUSE THEATRES AUDITION INFORMATION
Redwood City Play Festival: Gender Shorts
At Dragon Theatre
Dragon Theatre and Fuse Theatre are looking for a trans woman actress to fill the role of Rosie in Legal-Tender Loving Care, a play by Leanna Keyes, directed by Kieran Beccia. This production is a part of the Redwood City Play Festival produced by Dragon and Fuse.
The Redwood City Play Festival will combine the strengths of both companies to produce one act plays and events centered around a central social justice theme and will highlight local artists. This year’s theme is on gender-based topics, or “Gender Shorts.”
We are having interested actors submit a video audition of a monologue from the play. You can be considered for the role and sent the monologue by contacting Annette Koehn at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include a headshot and resume.
LEGAL-TENDER LOVING CARE by Leanna Keyes
Rosie, lost at a public transit station, reacts with surprise when a cute young man approaches her and wants to "share his secrets" with her. Realizing that she's being propositioned for the first time, she declines. Jayden is dejected until she says that she'll gladly "share secrets" with him... for a price. The two head to a hotel, and a comedy of errors unfolds; doubly mistaken identities and hidden histories collide as they spar through awkward puns and performance anxiety.
Directed Kieran Beccia
First Rehearsal: May 13th, 2019
Tues.-Wed. June 4th-5th @ 6-10p
Dress: Thurs.June 6th @ 6-10pm
Preview/Final Dress: Fri. June 7th @ 6-10p
Saturday, June 8th: (7p)
Sunday, June 9th: (4p)
Thursday, June 13th: (7pm) BIWT/LTLC
Friday, June 14th: (7pm) LTLC/NSA
Saturday, June 15th: (4p)
Sunday, June 16th: (1p)
Rehearsal location is tbd but will likely be in Redwood City. Rehearsals will be on weekday evenings and some weekends for around 10 hours a week.
All performances take place at Dragon Theatre, 2120 Broadway, Redwood City, CA 94063.
Actors are Independent Contractors, and will be paid a per performance fee.
LEGAL-TENDER LOVING CARE
ROSIE- A youngish woman. Tall. Rosie is a trans woman.
JAYDEN- A youngisher man. Short. Jayden is a trans man.
Headshots and résumés can be mailed year round via US Postal Mail to:
Dragon Productions Theatre Company
2120 Broadway St.
Redwood City, CA 94063
or emailed to the company at info (at) dragonproductions.net
Dragon Theatre Technical and Creative Staff Opportunities
We are currently seeking properties, sound designers, costume designers, scenic designers, lighting designers, stage managers, and assistant stage managers for the 2019 season. Potential on-the-job training for some positions available. Interested in Stage Managing, but have never tried? You can start as an Assistant Stage Manager and learn the trade. Please send a letter of intent and resume to info (at) dragonproductions.net. There is a stipend for all production staff positions.