Youth Classes and Workshops
Dragon Theatre is proud to offer a number of classes for children aged 8 and up. These classes are designed to be both fun and to develop critical skills like creative thinking, communication, public speaking, and more. We think we've got a little something for every child. If you'd like to talk specifics, please feel free to contact our Education Director, Max Koknar at max (at) dragonproductions.net.
Want to be among the first people notified when a Dragon class becomes available? Sign up for the Youth & Family Programming email list and you'll get advance notice on classes and early bird pricing codes!
We're partnering with the Redwood City Parks, Recreation, and Community Services team to offer our classes via their community class guides. The next round of classes is posted on their website and Dragon's classes are now available for registration.
Dragon Improv Team
Train in the principles of improvisation and learn a number of fun short-form improv games geared towards developing listening skills, teamwork and quick thinking. Train weekly with your team to become a comedy athlete and perform an improv show on the Dragon stage for friends and family on the final day.
AGE: 12-18 (Younger students may be accepted after an interview)with Max Koknar, Lead Actor, Writer, and Director.
WHEN: Saturdays 10a - noon starting Sept. 15 (skipping Oct 13). Student improv show for family and friends on 10/27 at noon.`
WHERE: The Dragon Theatre, 2120 Broadway St., Redwood City
HOW MUCH: $250 for 6 classes
About the Teacher, Max Koknar:
- Actor, Consultant with First Person Travel on NYT Featured Headlands Gamble
- Lead Actor, Writer, Co-Director, Co-Artistic Director on SFWeekly Featured Ancien Regime
- Story and Audience Experience Designer on a collaboration with Finnish government (The Decameron Project 2017) at the old Outokumpu mine.
- Consultant/Guest Lecturer/Teaching Artist/Coach in collaboration with U.C. Berkeley (Berkeley, CA), Adventure Design Group (San Francisco, CA), The Ohio State University (Columbus, OH), Willow Glen Elementary Tiger Theatre (San Jose, CA), Daniel Wright Elementary (Dublin, OH), Theatre of All Possibilities (Various Bay Area, CA), California Theatre Center (Various, CA, NV, WA, OR), Northside Theatre (San Jose, CA), Crowded Fire (San Francisco, CA), Triangle Lab (Bay Area, CA) and the Arena Stage (Washington DC)
- Have performed in front of nearly 500,000 people over the course of my career.
- Past collaborators and teachers include movement coaches who’ve worked for the Blue Man Group and Marvel’s Thor, students and collaborators of Marcel Marceau, Obie Award Winners, and Cirque du Soleil clowns.